Thursday, February 26, 2009

February 19-26, 2009- Days 38-45- Arrivaderci Roma, Per Adesso

I'm really sorry I haven't updated. I still didn't update the 10 days from like 2 posts ago that aren't filled in right now (but will be eventually...). This week has been a whirlwind of going out and partying, attempting to see some carnivale events, and studying for midterms. I'm also semi-sick which started like 2 weeks ago when my roommate got sick. My nose has been stuffy and runny, and it's been hard to breathe before going to bed. But nasal spray has been saving my life. I ran out but bought some today (supposedly made by Vick's so it should do the trick). I took a pill for the flu today just in case and finished my few Tylenol cold pills over the past few days. I'm not sure if it's a cold or allergies, but I don't really feel crappy so I'd say allergies. I've started to have a tiny cough and relatively OK but on and off sore/dry throat and mucus, but not sure if it's all getting better or worse. I'm trying to keep on top of it with meds and things, so I'll be OK for my trip tomorrow. I'll try to write this post day by day...I'll see what I can do.

Thursday night was a huge Temple gathering in Testaccio at the cute little bar On the Rox. It was actually quite fun with everyone together. The people here are pretty relaxed and chill and easy to talk to. We had 2 drinks for 8 euro, not bad. I had an amazing looking sex on the beach and a cosmo! I sat down with this girl Alex from Penn State who knows Kellen and we chatted, and then some Italian guys sitting behind us starting talking to me and one of Alex's friends (also in the program but I forgot her name). They were pretty cute and told us they played for the AS Roma soccer team...yeah right! Hahha. We didn't believe them but they were friendly and nice. One of them claimed he modeled for Dolce & Gabana and Original Marines (a men's clothing company here)...and then showed us his abs to prove it! Sweet lol. We chatted and he ended up making out with/getting the number of the other girl. I obviously didn't flirt or give out my number etc. But they were fun to chat with and we had a good time. Later on I met some other girls there and this new guy Bob who I had seen around but never talked to. We chatted a bit and then headed down the block to Coyote to dance, but there were sketch old men and we were tired. We chatted outside and soon after decided to leave. I didn't get home until about 4:30 in the morning!

On Friday I went out with a bunch of girls that I'm getting to know better and some neighbors and friends. There were 9 girls (myself, Mia, Gillian, Jillian, Michelle, Shaday, Grace, Ellen, and Shanley). We went out for apperitivos (my idea of course), an amazing Italian phenomenon unknown to the American people. No, it is not appetizers. Basically, you go to a bar/restaurant that holds the event (usually every night from about 7-9 pm or later...and mostly around here they're in Trastevere), and you buy any alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverage and you get a FREE food buffet to eat (you can probably get the food for free too because they don't check to see if you got a drink). It's not really heavy food, and I'm sure Italians just eat them as appetizers before dinner, be we Americans take full advantage and MAKE it dinner! They had fresh veggies, caesar salad, bread, different pastas, cous cous, cinnamon apples, soup, grilled veggies, dips and sauces, etc. It was great! We went for apperitivos in Milan on my class trip as well but at this point I haven't written about that because it's in that group of 10 days I haven't updated about :( Fail. Anyway, it was fabulous and then we went to this really sketchy area that the Italians call "la distileria" which is basically a huge piazza filled with night clubs and bars. But the places tried to be really exclusive with chains on the entrances, charged us to get in, also charged for drinks, and nobody was inside! It was basically like everyone was a spectacle to see so everyone stood outside and watched each other. Kind of lame. After trying to get in for free, our second or third place said 5 girls free and 4 pay, so the 4 of us left. Hahha. We weren't really feeling the scene anyway, so we took the night bus home. We stopped off first near the Colosseum/Forum to see a laser show they had on at night where there was a HUGE green laser going down Via del Corso all the way to the end to the wedding cake building aka Mussolini's big office building. Cool. And we saw the forum lit up at night which was nice.

Saturday I just stayed in pretty late but went to MAS in the afternoon with Grace and Mia. I exchanged my hair dryer since it was only blowing out cold air, and got some warm cashmere socks for $1.50! I also got some tees and tanks for Tunisia since they were only 1 Euro each. We were there for a few hours and walked around the area to find some Philipino stores. I got ramen! YAY! Then we went home and at night I had dinner with Grace. YUM! She made gnocchi, salad, and some other things.

Sunday, I woke up early hoping to go to a carnivale parade at a park near the Baths of Trajan and the Colosseum. It ended up being a bunch of little kids in costumes and a van with speakers on it with people dancing. I was pretty disappointed. I took some cool pictures of myself with the Colosseum in the background...hence my cool facebook default picture :) Then I came back to the apartment and studied all day for my art history midterm. Deathly. Gross.

Monday....had class and tried to come home early to study. Didn't happen. Went to GS, cooked, and only studied after 8:30 pm. Sucksssss....but it was ok. I stressed a bit about the test but it was ok.

Tuesday I had the art history exam which turned out not to be as bad as I thought. Hopefully my grade will show that too...sad to say but even if I get a C I won't be disappointed. My grades don't count anyway! HAHHA!!! I was so glad it was over I just veggggged out all night on Tuesday and did notttthing at all. It felt so good.

Yesterday...I had photo in the morning and we went to Piazza Reppublica and took some photos. We also visited 2 photo galleries, one was a National Geographic exhibit on Mother Earth, and the other was one called Exactitudes where people in various cities were chosen based on their "look" or attire that fit one social class, theme, personality, etc. and posed for the camera in the same way. It was a pretty cool comparison. I loved both! Then I had Italian, came home, and did laundry. Not so fun but I relaxed again!

Today...I had my Italian midterm. I really didn't study much last night, but the test was totally fine. I pretty much got an A. Then I had my design class and got my paper back where I got a 5+ out of 5 which was awesome :) I think she likes me even though I don't like her or the class LOL. Now, I'm home in the apartment and packing for my trip to Tunisia!!! I can't wait. It's also already spring break which is kind of sad because we're like half way over with the program :( But the trip to AFRICA is going to be fabulous. We're going to see El Gem (Roman amphitheater), ride camels into the Sahara, smoke hookah and palm leaf tobacco, visit a date palm oasis, shop in the souks and bizzars, and explore! The hotels are all 4 star with huge beds, resort sized pools, one is on the beach, and 2 have nightclubs! We're going to be traveling to various cities by bus all week but it's going to be amazing. I can't wait to go, and then get home and show everyone my photos and write about it on here. I'm also trying to book my trip to Istanbul, Turkey for Easter break to visit Perri. I'm speechless.....

No comments:

Post a Comment