Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 5-17, 2009- Days 24-36- Mi Piache Roma!

Wow....sorry I'm so bad at keeping up with these postings. So much goes on here that I hardly have a minute to sit down and type, and the internet at the residence blows so it usually proves to be difficult to even get online to post. So, it's been about a week and a half since I updated, and a lot of things I can't remember now so...sorry! I will share as much as I can remember from this point on. Time is flying here so what was one weekend sometimes seems like a combination of my memories of two or three weekends. Bear with me!

Thursday, Feb. 5- So....from what I can remember...I had Italian class as usual and then had Italian deisgn class where we went to EUR which was Mussolini's modern vision of Rome. Basically it was a bunch of boring modern buildings that were extremely ugly and only used for senate and other government purposes. There was nothing to do there. We walked around aimlessly, and we didn't even get to go inside the buildings! It was a trip not worth going on, honestly! After she let us "out" we walked back to the metro where there was a little outdoor market. I bought Roger a few Valentine's Day gifts and Abbey and I watched flocks of birds gathering around making awesome shapes and forms in the sky. Coolest thing ever. They were swarming all over the sky and moving in little schools and making huge black shapes all around us...I took plenty of pictures which will be up on Facebook as usual! After that, I went back to the residence and hung out. At night, a bunch of us...me, Kellen, Lauren, Ashley, Portia, Carey, Nick, Marcus, etc. went out to ZAR Bar which was a little bar/club near Trastevere. A bunch of kids we planned on going with got lost and ended up just staying in Campo di Fiori. The entrance was 10 euro per person but girls got 3 free drinks and guys got 2. Good deal. I split a cab there with some guys visiting from London who went to Penn State and who were friends with other Temple kids. One of them happened to be a guy my roomate once hooked up with years ago lol. They were all really cool. At the bar I didn't know what to order so like the Sex and the City fanatic I am, I ordered a Cosmo. It was pretty good but most of it ended up on my hands, on the floor, and on the jackets of the guys that bumped into me. I had one other drink which was an amazing fruity mix the bartender came up with, and I sold my third drink ticket to the guy I was supposed to split the cab home with. He and the other guys ended up leaving before we did so I ended up paying anyway. Everyone got pretty drunk except for me, as usual, and we made it home safe and sound. Lauren and the boys next door had a trip to Florence the next morning and were drunk and up late, and ended up missing their train. Oh well.

Friday, Feb. 6- I slept in kinda late after our night out. I don't even remember what I did this day...I actually think I stayed in all day because it was raining and cold out like usual. At night, I went out to dinner with Ashley, Portia, Kellen, and Alyssa. We went to a really cute place on the way to the Pantheon which was obviously a tourist trap like most of the other places around that area. I wanted to go to the pizza place in Trastevere but nobody wanted to go unless we could go out afterwards. The place we ended up at had a little porch with tables and heat lamps so we sat outside to eat. We split antipasto of grilled veggies, meats, and cheese and I got fettucini alfredo. It ended up costing around 19 euro a person...what a damn rip off! Oh well...what can you do??? After dinner we went back to the residence and had an early night in.


Saturday, Feb. 7- I slept late again and the weather was pretty crappy again. In the afternoon I met up with Mia and her new roommate Ryan for some delish gelato at Old Bridge. We walked around for a bit and shopped around Via Ottaviano and Via Candia where Mia got shampoo and things. We went to Tuodi, the discount supermarket and bought some snacks and wine as well. We headed back to Mia's for late lunch and I eventually stayed and had delivery pizza for dinner with Ryan and Tom! Mia cooked. At around 11:30 I left and headed to the infamous 24 hour bakery everyone here talks about with such love! I bought a croissant with white chocolate for 50 cents, a HUGE croissant filled with Nutella and topped with whipped cream for 1.50, and a weird sweet bun with zabaione cream for 1.50 also. I ate it all across a 3 day span.

Sunday, Feb. 8- I woke up early for once and finally went to Porta Portese. I was supposed to meet up with Mia but it was wayyyy too big and filled with way too many people so we couldn't meet up. Calling and texting cost to much to find out our exact locations. So I wandered and ended up getting some Italia hoodies as gifts and a few purses for 1 Euro each! Really cute bags too! When the market started closing up around 2:30 pm, I walked back to the entrance and saw people rummaging through a huge pile of bags, clothes, and shoes. I saw a pretty leather jacket on the ground next to a tree and tried it on. It fit but closed tightly over my chest. I asked how much it cost to a random man in the crowd and he said it was free. It must have been a pile of stuff nobody wanted or some stuff a vendor dropped and forgot to pick up again. I shoved it in my bag like they said to do along with a cute Louis Vuitton (not sure if it's real) pouch that's missing a zipper and walked on my way. A FREE leather jacket....can't beat that!!!! I walked along the Tiber and took some photos for class and eventually made it to Trastevere where I got McDonald's for lunch again. I got chicken nuggets and a cheeseburger and fries. YUM! Then I headed back to the residence and called it a day!

Monday, Feb. 9-

Tuesday, Feb. 10-

Wednesday, Feb. 11-

Thursday, Feb. 12-

Friday, Feb. 13-

Saturday, Feb. 14-

Sunday, Feb. 15-

Monday, Feb. 16-

Tuesday, Feb. 17-

No comments:

Post a Comment